See also: Best laptop for Solidworks
The major changes in Node.js 19.0 are as follows:
- The V8 engine has been updated to version 10.7, used in Chromium 107. It implemented the third version of the Intl.NumberFormat API, which added new functions formatRange(), formatRangeToParts() and selectRange(), set grouping, new rounding and accuracy options, and the ability to interpret strings as decimal numbers. Also updated the included dependencies llhttp 8.1.0 and npm 8.19.2;
- implementation of experimental command "node --watch" with implementation of observation mode, which provides restarting process when imported file is changed (if "node --watch index.js" is executed, process will be automatically restarted when index.js is changed);
- Support for the HTTP 1.1 Keep-Alive mechanism for all outbound HTTP/HTTPS connections. It leaves the connection open for a specific amount of time to process multiple HTTP requests within a single connection. The default timeout for keeping a connection open is 5 seconds. Support for parsing the Keep-Alive HTTP header in server responses was added to the HTTP client implementation, and automatic disconnection of inactive clients using Keep-Alive was added to the Node.js HTTP server implementation;
- WebCrypto API reclassified as stable with the exception of functions using Ed25519, Ed448, X25519 and X448 algorithms. The WebCrypto module can now be accessed using globalThis.crypto or require('node:crypto').webcrypto;
- Removing support for DTrace, SystemTap, and ETW (Event Tracing for Windows) tracing tools.
See also: Best laptop for Machine Learning
Node.js can be used for server-side maintenance of web applications as well as creation of normal client and server network programs. For her prepared a large collection of modules, which can be found in the implementation of servers and clients HTTP, SMTP, XMPP, DNS, FTP, IMAP, POP3, integration with various frameworks, handlers WebSocket and Ajax, connectors to the database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MongoDB), templates, CSS-motors, the implementation of the crypto algorithms and authorization systems (OAuth), XML-parsers.
Developers will now complete the stabilization of the Node.js 18 branch, which will achieve LTS status and be supported until April 2025. Maintenance of the previous Node.js 16.0 LTS branch will continue until September 2023, while the previous LTS 14.0 branch will be maintained until April 2023.
Read also: Best laptop for engineering students